Monday, November 09, 2009

I work at

Avid Reader, which may just be one of the best bookstores in the world.

I love it there, and it's about my only solid social interaction and break from writing book two (almost there by the way, I don't do word counts here much, because they're dull and that usually doesn't inspire me, but fill me instead with some sort of existential word countish dread, and I start dreaming that I'm being chased by numbers, and stories aren't really numbers, well not that often*). Sure I work Sundays and, sure I have to get up around six in the am to get to work (yes there is a 6am on a Sunday Morning, I used to believe Sundays had a default start of 10 am, but I was wrong) but it's the best place you could ever hope to work.

And it keeps me sane(ish).

Avid has a new website up, and it's worth checking out. There's some great video of various book launches and what not, and some fabulous readings. Follow the link and you'll come across a little of the reason - in cyber form - that I love working there.









*Q. what's your novel about?
A. 90,000 words.


4 comments:

TansyRR said...

oooh that is a brilliant bookshop website. Given that browsing in bookshops is so hard for me these days, I have become enamoured of the web presence of bookshops. I particularly like to follow them on Twitter because then it feels like the bookshop ITSELF is talking to me. Very AI.

I still haven't made it to Avid Reader, you must take me there next time I am in Bris!

Trent Jamieson said...

Glad you like it, Tansy. Avid is a very special place, for one three of us got book deals within six months of each other. A boss that puts up with three authors really deserves a medal.

I promise I'll take you there next time you're up.

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

This is not an endorsement of that most ungodly hour for Sunday at 6am is the official hour of the avid heretics, why it’s damn near blasphemous though I will commend your devotion, I’ll have no part of it.

...And my novels are about romance and family.

Thanks for sharing, your blog is lovely.

Trent Jamieson said...

Thank you, it truly is a terrible hour, though I have since discovered that getting up to catch a plane at 5am is much worse.

I'm glad you like the blog! Yours is lovely too, though the sun does shine a lot in Australia, it's a rather fierce and biting thing. If you ever move and garden here remember to wear a hat :-)