Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tomorrow

is a big day. The death march for Death Most Demanding's structural edits. I know it's as good as I can get it, but there's always that desire to do a little more (Tempered by the feeling that every sentence is clunky and every character's motivations suspect) and fear that I haven't done enough - or, conversely too much.

I'm itching to get Managing Death finished. I love my protag. Steven de Selby is fun to write, but you can spend too much time in a single character's head, and I've spent most of 2009 in Steven's head (or he's spent it in mine). I worry about him a lot. He's not a hero in the traditional sense and he goes to some pretty dark places - the kind of things I obsess about in my writing like they're a sore tooth that you can't stop running your tongue over until it bleeds.

Not the healthiest mind set to constantly inhabit. I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks off in January. Though I really want to see him through to the end of the next book, things only grow darker and I don't like leaving my characters alone. You know how it is.




No comments: