Wednesday, July 01, 2009

A Typical Writing Day

Today was a typical writing day. Once I'm in a project the writing doesn't really stop, the file stays open and I'm back and forwards, adding things, thinking about things. Trying to find the right way to describe a character's movements, or their voice, or the way a particular bit of the world works.

The writing tends to fuse with the rest of my day creating a bit of tension between what's going down on the page and what's distracting me from it. It seems to work, but is never really all that relaxing. That said, it's one of my favourite bits of the novel writing process. It's still all new and shiny and full of possibility - particularly in the things that I can link up to the previous book. There's a lot of dialogue, a lot of action, and not a lot of concrete detail - that's for draft two, when I try and sort out the logic not only of plot, but of space, and motion (oh, and what the hell it is that I'm actually saying).

Another twenty thousand words and things will be a bit more of a challenge, but at the moment I'm still finding connections with the stuff I'm writing and the stuff I've written, and it's all rather fun.

My turn to cook dinner.

No comments: