Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes when

the writing’s not going as well as I would like, and I get a bit grumbly, I suddenly remember what it is I’m doing, and how bloody lucky I am.

I’m getting to write three books about Death, my favourite literary character (or nature incarnate or whatever). I’m getting to put my own stamp on it, and that’s a very cool opportunity to have. Sure, I’m not the first, the last, or even the only one doing it, but I’m the only me doing it, and if I’d told my fifteen year old SF writing self that this is what I would end up writing about, he’d have looked at me and said: Of course.*

That fifteen year old always knew I’d have a shot at this. He was a pretty dreadful writer, and the progenitor of a lot of my bad writerly habits (run-on sentences anybody?) but he never stopped believing that this was where I was headed. Of course, he expected it to happen a lot sooner. Fifteen year olds always do.

So, yeah, I’m writing about Death. Even on the worst days that cheers me. You rarely get the chance to write (in a paid capacity with real books coming out) exactly what you want. I hope people will want to read them just as much as I’ve wanted to write them.




*He’d have also asked, when I got the glasses and if that wasn’t caused by something that fifteen-year-old boys are fond of to distraction.

5 comments:

TansyRR said...

Eeeee yes, I am getting to write about slutty shapechangers in pretty clothes. FOR MONEY. WHILE WEARING PYJAMAS.

Every time I complain about having to, you know, use my brain while eight months pregnant and simultaneously being used as an unborn child's bouncy castle, I remember this.

We're living the dream, Trent!

Trent Jamieson said...

We sure are.

That's funny though, I can't write in my pyjamas. I have to get dressed, or it doesn't feel like writing to me - unless I have the flu

Anonymous said...

I like to write wearing the clothes of dead people.

Actually, when I think of it, half my stuff is from the second hand shop, and so maybe I am wearing dead people's clothes! Ewwww.

Kaaron

Trent Jamieson said...

I'm not really surprised, Kaaron.

I'll only wear dead people's clothes if I've taken them from the bodies myself, otherwise it doesn't count- I'm funny that way.

Anonymous said...

At least you know where they come from! Me, I could be wearing the dress of a woman who liked tele-movies based on Danielle Steele novels.
Kaaron