Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Bit more on Slights - Warning. May Contain Enthusiasm

So I'm not the one for indepth criticism, and I've been known to get madly enthusiastic. But there's so much interesting fiction being written in Australia right now. More authors than I can name without forgetting someone, and that's not counting my ROR family: all of whom are thrilling me with their fiction.

Slights is Kaaron Warren's first book from Angry Robot (she has another two coming) and I can't wait to see them. Slights is to Australian Horror what The Shining was to American. I honestly believe that if anyone ever says to you that the Great Australian Horror novel hasn't been written then you can point to Slights, or bash them over the head with it. It's a masterpiece of voice, a bleak and haunting novel that gets it's hooks into you and yanks, all the while scratching its broken nails down the blackboard of your psyche.

Kaaron Warren has set the standard by which all future Australian horror novels will have to be judged*.

That is all.


*of course, feel free to disagree, but I'm glad I'm not writing horror.



2 comments:

Christopher Currie said...

Cannot wait to read it. That cover had me from the word go. I am assured that Avid Reader in West End is the place to buy it.

Trent Jamieson said...

Why, yes indeed that fine establishment is the place to buy it.