Monday, June 29, 2009

Some things to get Excited About

There's a whole heap of stuff be excited about if you're a reader of a somewhat dark and fantastical bent.

For one Jeff Vandermeer has podcast the first chapter of his new Ambergris novel Finch. You can click to it from his blog here. He's going to do the whole thing in November, but, for now, this will have to be enough. Can't wait to see the book in print.

And then there's China Mieville's new novel "The City and The City" and who wouldn't be excited about that? A police procedural that explores the idea of crosshatched spaces. A term I first came across in Clute and Grant's Encyclopedia of Fantasy and, as John Clute says, "Crosshatches invite journeys*." Who better to take you on such a journey than Mieville?

I mean, all cities are essentially crosshatched. There are things that we let ourselves ignore when we're walking down the street, when we're living our lives, because they makes us feel uncomfortable (or stretch our own belief in our own compassion). Or maybe you're all better than me - I sincerely hope you are.

Oh, and then there's Peter M Ball's excellent noirish novella Horn. Twelfth Planet Press are one of the most exciting small presses in Australia - and I'm not just saying that because they've published some of my shorts. If you're after a dose of grit with your urban fantasy you really can't go past Horn. Buy yourself a copy here.


*Oh, and he says a lot more - but my dinner smells like it's just about ready

3 comments:

Ben Payne said...

I concur greatly on all three!

Btw if you haven't already, I heartily recommend you check out Catherynne Valente's Palimpsest.

I think you'd dig it.

Trent Jamieson said...

I'll definitely check it out. I've been meaning to read more of Catherynne's work since Labyrinth

Trent Jamieson said...

Which should be "The Labyrinth" old bookseller's habit, dropping the The.