Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Little on Process

And I mean a little. Having written a little on my process (or lack of) over at ROR, along with Tansy and Rowena, I think the most important thing is to not get too hung up on it, or on how anyone else writes.

I used to panic, or feel an immense sense of guilt, if I wasn't approaching my writing in the same manner as writers I admired. But the truth is you can only do what you can do, which isn't to preclude being open to change, but an acceptance of this can remove a lot of the anxiety tied up in writing. And anxiety can stop you dead.

It's the end result that matters, talking about how I get there is often like snatching at smoke. I really don't know. I sit down, think really hard, and write. And then I work on that until it succeeds, or it doesn't - and a lot of the time it's the later, and a lot of the time I don't really have a clue.

I'm happier when I don't think too hard about the process at all, and just inch my way to end.

That's about as honest as I get.

1 comment:

Nicky said...

Serendipity at its finest Trent. I had a night last night of burning desire to put down the pen (it lasts until I eventually collapse into a dreamless sleep).

Good reminder - as I KNOW it but some days it gets lost. Weird but well what else would I be *lol*.