Friday, June 26, 2009

It's Finally Official

So, it's true - it still doesn't feel like it, and I've had a couple of months to digest it - I've sold three books of a series called Death Works to Orbit UK, US, and Australia. The first one called Death Most Definite will be launching at World Con in Melbourne next year, the second around Christmas 2010, and the third around Easter 2011.

I've got a lot of work to do, but this is a series I've been chipping away at for years so the groundwork is pretty much laid. It's bleak, it's funny (I hope), it's Australian, and it's about my favourite obsession: Death.

I promise I'll provide more details later, but the next year is going to see me hunkered down and writing. There'll be a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and a considerable amount of beer.

Thanks to Marianne de Pierres, who kicked this book out of me* ( I swear it would still be just a couple of chapters if she hadn't pushed me to finish it) and Deonie Fiford who helped me beat a rough first draft into shape. Oh and then there's my family ROR - best writing group ever! And Diana, always Diana because she has to put up with me wandering around the place in a vague state of writerliness, instead of out in the world earning money, and she's never complained once.

So, yeah, that's my news. Me and Orbit, how cool is that?



*and who I don't think gets nearly enough acknowledgement for all the wonderful things she's done for a lot of Australian SF writers. She's amazing, and I'm lucky to count her as not only a colleague but a dear friend

17 comments:

chrisbarnes said...

Congratulations, Trent! How very cool.

TansyRR said...

YAY I'm so happy for you, Trent, and happy for me too because sitting on this news has been complete torture.

Also wheeeee this year's Worldcon will ROCK.

(heh though my book will be out a month or so before yours, good thing or I would have had to stab you with something)

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

Go Trent, Go!

Imagine me doing a Sheer Leader routine!

Rowena Cory Daniells said...

That should be Cheer Leader, not Sheer Leader.

TansyRR said...

Rowena - that's probably a good thing, I was wondering what kind of costume that would involve!!!

paulhaines said...

great news!

Trent Jamieson said...

Thanks all. It's nice to be able to talk about it now.

Tansy, I was so wanting my book to come out first, but them's the breaks. I'll be happy if my books are as good as yours.

Sheer leader? :-)

Steph Campisi said...

Yay! What great news! :) Looking forward to reading these when they come out.

Trent Jamieson said...

Thanks, Steph. I hope you like them.

Cat Sparks said...

Big fat congratulations, Trent. Very well deserved.

Nicole said...

Congratulations, Trent, that's fantastic news. Hope it's just the beginning.

karenmiller said...

Fabulous news, Trent! Big wooot!

Trent Jamieson said...

Thanks, Cat, Nicole, and Karen,

I'm just so thrilled it's finally "official".

mdep said...

Sheer Leader *snort* *gurgle* I can feel a nickname coming on, Rowena.

And schucks Tj. I might have given you a kick in the 'write' direction but you wrote the damn thing.

So excited about it.
M xxxxxx

Nicky said...

Here is my offical online squeeeeeee for your fantastic news Trent!

Melbourne is going to rock bigtime!

Sheer Leader - will that ever be lived down....

Re MJP darn tootin, absolutely Trent & MJP - never underestimate the usefulness of a good kick ;)

PS can I be disturbed my word verification is tramp????????

Trent Jamieson said...

M, you never know how important a good hard kick can be to getting something done. It was support at precisely the right time.

And, Nicky, thanks, oh, and I'd be very disturbed :-)

Aidan Doyle said...

Congratulations Trent!
That's great news.
Look forward to reading them.