Monday, January 26, 2009

Well...

I know, it's been a while. But I'm back. Was going to blog about the Aurealis Awards this morning, and the rather disquieting news that I'm teaching at Clarion South next week, but I woke up at four in the morning having come down with something utterly horrible of the every muscle in my body aching variety. Let's put it down to a weird mixture of virus and shock.

The Aurealis Awards were a hell of a lot fun, and I came home with one of them which was unexpected, but very nice. It was good to see Cracks get an award for best YA short story, and even better to see Shiny acknowledged, I think it's a fantastic magazine. Interestingly, this is my second win at the AAs, and both times the stories were edited in part by Ben Payne - Ben, I might get you to come live in study.

I was in a wee bit of a state prior to the awards, in part because I've been feeling ill the last few days, and mostly because I'd received a phone call from the folk at Clarion South asking if I could fill in for Kelly Link and Gavin Grant's first week at Clarion. Now, there's no way you can ever fill in for Kelly and Gavin, there just isn't. And I'm a very different (putting it bluntly much less successful) sort of writer, but I think I can add something to Clarion, even if it's only a sense of obstinacy, I've been plugging away at this for fifteen years, and I'm really only starting to see some success, so maybe I can be an illustration of as much what not to do as what to.

And, besides, there's Jeff Vandermeer coming in at week six to pull it all together - and who's not going to be excited by that?

5 comments:

TansyRR said...

HUGS you will be awesome, and they are lucky to have you.

tanaudel said...

Congratulations for both!

Trent Jamieson said...

Thanks, guys.

mdep said...

They are lucky to have you Trent. You're one of the best.
MDP

Glori said...

You will do mighty fine I'm sure!

Nicky