Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rewriting

I'm in the middle of a rewrite - my romantic comedy about the business of death - and I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything more. I'm tightening up the story, removing a couple of characters that just don't work (and were the least organic things in the last draft) and building up the ones that do. The books as pacey a tale as I've ever written, but I feel in control of it.

It's a difficult thing to explain, but the characters and the story are filling the spaces I leave for them with an ease that I have never encountered in my writing before. Which I am sure is in no small part because of the excellent feedback I'd gotten on the previous draft, but hopefully is also some evidence of growth in my writing.

I love these characters and this world, most of it's set in Brisbane so that part's easy, and I'm actually very grumpy when the real world - which is also set in Brisbane :) - intrudes. I'll be sad when the thing is done. Hopefully that's a good sign.

I'm done for the day. It's raining, and I'm actually feeling a bit like a writer (and a little bit like a bicycle).

No comments: