Sunday, July 13, 2008

Back From Lismore

Spent the weekend down in Lismore catching up with the various families. Had a great time, and got to see my sister's new house.

Even managed to get a start on Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box, which has so far proven highly entertaining.

Things learnt: my father-in-law once met Frank Sinatra on a plane out of Fiji. My wife and sister-in-law know the Once More With Feeling soundtrack word perfectly. I can only write in the back seat of a car for about twenty minutes before I start wanting to throw up - but, then again, that could have been the prose style.

I've also started working on developing some sort of methodology to my writing - not a system, or a set of rules, but more a examination of why I do some of the things I do. Which is probably only interesting to me, and really amounts to a reinvention of the wheel, but I might start posting up here from time to time.

Here's the first one: which is more of an aphorism:

Self awareness may be a useful tool for a writer, but self skepticism is even more important.

2 comments:

Glori said...

That is not necessarily a Bad Thing to know that soundtrack word perfectly...

I say no more :P

Trent Jamieson said...

I didn't say it was a Bad Thing. Just a thing :)