Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mist

Sometimes you shouldn't get what you wish for.

The Mist is one of those pivotal and deeply inspirational stories for me (Lovecraft's the Colour out of Space, is another). I read Stephen King's novella when I was sixteen, and it crouched in my brain and laid eggs there. There was an intimacy in that story, in the face of the inconceivably awful, that I found utterly compelling, and I'd always wondered what it would be like as a movie.

Well, the Mist is a fine movie, but the inconceivable is now conceivable*, and I kind of wish that I hadn't seen it.

Well, too late for that. Still, if you didn't fall in love with the novella when you were a wee nip, I reckon there's a lot to enjoy here, and if you did, well, maybe you'll be better at separating the two mediums.

*I kind of wonder if the person that designed the giant monster at the end of this movie was the same person that designed the monster in Cloverfield - a movie that had the advantage of not being based on a beloved childhood tale.

No comments: