Friday, May 30, 2008

Grant

Today I wrote an outline for a new novel that I'm utterly crazy to consider starting, but I probably will, if only on the weekends. I was wondering why I am feeling so creative at the moment, and why I have managed to finish so much over the last six months or so, and (well, duh) it is mostly because I received a grant from the Australia Council for the Arts last year. It has given me the time and the head space to not only write the material I was given the grant for, but also to finish another novel, several short stories, and even consider a new novel. It has also allowed me to say yes to a couple of projects that I'm not certain I would have been able to complete otherwise, so I reckon that's value for money.

To anyone that has applied for a grant this year, I say, good luck! And to anyone that is considering applying for a grant: well you should just go for it. What have you got to lose? You certainly have a hell of a lot to gain, and not just the confidence that comes from people saying: "we believe enough in this project to give you money for it." It's that space to breathe, to make mistakes, and to create. It's bloody priceless. I wouldn't have traded the last twelve months for anything.

No comments: