Friday, February 22, 2008

Sick

I've been sick. Nearly two weeks of a sore throat thing that has ruined my ability to concentrate, and forced me to do little more than rest, which has been rather awful, but I seem to be coming to the end of it, at last.

One good thing about all that illness idle was finishing Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies featuring the wonderful Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen. I'm a big fan of Fritz Leiber and Locke and Jean are two the most enjoyable heroic fantasy characters I've come across since Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. Perfect reading when you're sick as a dog (even better when you're not).

Another good thing was Arcade Fire, I bought Neon Bible last week, and loved it so much that I tracked down Funeral, which may just be one of my favourite albums of the last twelve months. How great is this band?

I've just started on Alan Campbell's Lye Street: the beautifully presented prequel novella to Scar Night. If you can get yourself a copy of this, do it. Bob Eggleton's internal illustrations are to die for.

No comments: