Monday, August 13, 2007

Chris Willrich's "A Wizard of the Old School"

About a year ago I mentioned having read a fine story by Chris Willrich called "Penultima Thule", well I bought the August Fantasy & Science Fiction today, and have just finished a new Willrich tale "A Wizard of the Old School" a sequel of sorts to the last story and a very welcome one indeed. If you are at all a fan of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser tales you'll get a kick out of Willrich's Gaunt and Bone stories, they're funny and melancholy, perhaps closer in tone to one of my favourite fantasy shorts Peter S. Beagle's "Lal and Soukyan"*.

Definitely worth hunting down for a taste of old school sword and sorcery fuelled by new school wit or something like that anyway.


*You can find that particular novella in P.S.Beagle's excellent collection "Giant Bones".**

**My favourite Leiber short is "Adept's Gambit" the original and still the best, ah but I love those Nehwon rogues.

No comments: