Friday, March 30, 2007

The Black Rider as in Tom Wait's Album

I've been getting plenty of words down, about 2000 a day on the "new project"*, and then bits and pieces on other shorts: which I hope to have to market (along with some piggies I've been fattening up, we'll travel down the old dirt road that leads into Toowong proper, me chewing on a fat blade of glass, and humming them there Christian songs I like to hum, hymns and that for the most part) in the next couple of weeks, well some of them, some will prove stubborn, and some will dread their delivery onto the world, and will come quickly back to me.

Word to Martin Livings, Cat Sparks and Anna Tambour, not to mention my ROR pal Margo who were all mentioned in this.

We writers love to be loved.

There's some interesting discussion over at ASIF, my favourite review site, looking at writers and their reactions to reviews. I've been fairly fortunate in the reviews I've received over the years, and no-one likes to be slammed, but one of the first things a writer needs to develop is a thick skin. You've got to be able to deal with rejection, and God knows there's plenty of that, and you also have to divorce yourself from your work: once it's written. There's nothing more embarrassing than watching a writer enter into a debate with a reviewer over a review– the writer only ever looks bad.

One of the best bits of advice I've ever heard was from Jeff Vandermeer and it was to never read reviews.

Never followed it myself, I'm always chuffed, and perhaps a little embarrassed to know that someone has read one of my stories and given it a little critical thought. And besides, there's always something slightly hypnotic about watching a train wreck even if it's your own train.

I'm listening to Tom Waits of late, as previously noted, picked up a copy of "The Black Rider", Waits and Burroughs (William) now that's a bleak combination, and lovely, "November" is one of my favourite songs right now, that and the Mark Lanegan penned song "Revolver" on the Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan album "Ballad of the Broken Seas". Countering that gloom with a lot of Belle and Sebastian and the Crystal Skulls, it's taken me nearly twelve months to warm to the Crystal Skull's last album "Outgoing Behaviour" but I have, and I love it.

*My, how enigmatic.

No comments: