Thursday, October 12, 2006

So tomorrow's Horror Day

Tomorrow's Horror Day. I'm off for after work drinks so I doubt I'll be doing much in the way of blogging tomorrow afternoon, so here are some of my thoughts on Horror.

I love horror fiction, not such a fan of horror movies, basically because I'm a coward, and our couch is up against the wall so I can't hide behind it.

The first horror story that really had an impact on me was HP Lovecraft's "The Colour from Space" I remember reading it on the couch and having to lift my feet up just so nothing could grab them - which actually had little to do with the book and everything to do with the creatures that lived under our couch, I am the oldest in my family basically because I managed to avoid being devoured, we don't speak about it much, but I sure miss my older siblings, and their screams will haunt me until the end of my days.

We burnt the couch on Friday the 13th november 1987. The moment the match hit that cheap, and highly flammable couch fabric, the couch began to scream. The screaming didn't stop until well after the greasy smoke had lifted, and we'd kicked the smouldering wood and springs into an ashy pile. The bodies we found beneath it, desiccated, eyes devoured, we buried in the backyard. Two years later they pulled themselves from the earth and began a killing spree the likes of which Gunnedah had never experienced – didn't matter to us, we'd already moved to Lismore. Yeah, so one day we'll go back and stop that undead, unspoken evil, but what's the hurry?

Here's a story I wrote a long time ago. Feel free to laugh. It may well be the only Cthulhu Mythos story set in Byron Bay, it may also be one of the worst things I've ever written, but it's horror, and occasionally you have to reveal your secret shame.

If Horror's your bag you might want to check this out.

****
On another note Neal Asher's "Prador Moon" was excellent, a lot of fun, and a fine distraction from the flight. What's more I bought a copy of "The Engineer Reconditioned", Asher's short story collection, over there, and it is a very fine collection indeed. Also noticed that my mate, and Redsine co-editor, the very talented Garry Nurrish did the cover design. It's a small world.

No comments: