Friday, September 01, 2006

Stories read and imagined and stuff

Short stories can be such a rush. You don't inhabit them like novels, they inhabit you. I bought a copy of the August F&SF a couple of days ago. It's a rather good issue. I'm a dipper when it comes to magazines, I never start with the first story nor end with the last, I tend to flip open the magazine and start reading. Don't know why, but it works for me.
So far I've totally dug the Christopher Rowe story "Another word for Map is Faith" as much for the title as the story itself, which is nice and subtle, and dark.

And I've just finished the Chris Willrich story "Penultimate Thule" and loved it. If you like the Leiber's stuff, you'll probably get into this. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get into one of the year's bests for 2006. It's fantasy, old school, and part of a series of tales that I'm going to have to hunt down.

Been getting a bit of reading done, what with the rain and all public transport slows down, and I'm finding the trains a bit to crowded to write in at the moment.

I'm a little disturbed though, when I start reading people's stories in my dreams I know I'm not writing as much as I should. Ben Peek has been very productive this year – not just on his blog – but does he have to publish fiction in people's dreams? I'd like to think I could do that myself, or at least I'm reading my own stories. It was very good, though I can't remember the specifics except that it was set in his very cool Red Sun world place – check out his blog for more details on where you can read real Peek stories, and let me tell you that's lots of places these days, which is not at all a bad thing.

Oh and the dullness has passed - or at least the sense of it.

Next week I'm seeing Okkervil River, then a few weeks later it's road tripping New Zealand, which should be cool - oh and there's the Dresden Dolls in there somewhere too - and a bunch of new books, I'm eyeing off the newish Neal Asher, and Polity Agent is coming out very soon as well.

Life is good, and it's friday, and I can hear frogs croaking, what more could you want?

No comments: