Saturday, August 26, 2006

What it used to be

My life has been dull of late.

Very, very dull. I mean, read this blog - not that I'd blame you if you didn't.

Not that interesting, is it?

Today I went to the shops, drank some coffee read the papers, came home, did a whole bunch of housework, watched a DVD, didn't think anything particularly profound, didn't come across anything particularly profound in the news, and then I sat down to write this.

Dull, very, very dull.

I am actually approaching a state of almost zen-like dullness.

I have entered my mid thirties and found it to be a place with mildly(but only mildly) offensively coloured carpet, a couple of dog-eared (and eaten) paperbacks, and an increasing nostalgia for things "the way they used to be". I'm even finding that I watch more television, Christ, I'm even blogging about it.

Dull.

If this continues, I'm going to start blogging about the amusing antics of my cat. At least he's out there doing stuff, eating small animals, annoying my dog. Well, appearing to annoy him, if I know my cartoons, and I do, then they're probably trading wisecracks, and scheming schemes that end up in everyone being taught a nice lesson about something or other, usually involving self esteem or the need to follow your dreams.

Shit, even my animals are dull.

I know that people think that science fiction short story writers lead thrilling lives filled with motorsports, and opportunities to wear leather jackets and rather fetching pants, and that when they're not writing, which only takes up about half an hour of their day, they're out researching quantum physics with their sexy companions, or solving crimes involving quantum physics and grammar and more sexy twists and turns than an episode of Melrose, and even sexier companions.

But it just isn't true.

It used to be, back in the Seventies. Christ, there's that nostalgia again. These days we're all too busy blogging, and what crimes we solve never seem to make it into the papers. Writing just isn't what it used to be.

3 comments:

Leon of Leichhardt said...

Sounds like some days in Lismore.

Especially first year.

I think you're dull life would translate as tranquil bliss for me right now...

Trent Jamieson said...

You're right. There is something to be said for the dull life. Hope all the wedding stuff is going fairly smoothly.

Though I think I was more lamenting the swift passage of days but without much of interest to fill them.

Soon heading to NZ so that should up the interest factor.

Leon of Leichhardt said...

I know how you feel. When I'm not busy i'm always amazed how quickly the time slips by and I realise that I have made slow progress on the things I really want to do. time is so easy to waste....