Saturday, August 05, 2006

She fell from the sky, she fell very far and Kansas, she says, is the name of the star.

We bought a copy of the Wizard of Oz on DVD today, which is odd: odd that we hadn’t bought it earlier*. The Wizard of Oz is cool, I like it a lot, but it's my wife’s favourite film, Diana can quote the entire film; I’m not kidding.

Some nights, when Diana is having trouble sleeping, she’ll start quoting the film, and I’ll only know that she’s fallen asleep when the dialogue stops – we’ve gotten to “Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My” but never “Poppies will put them to sleep”** which is a great comfort because I like my sleep, and I don’t keep a supply of poppies in the house.

I can’t quote anything. I have a terrible memory for quotes, absolutely terrible, which is why my favourite poem is William Blake’s “Sick Rose” one stanza, easy.

The thing is, having a wife who absolutely adores the Wizard of Oz can be mighty helpful. I wouldn’t have written Slow & Ache*** or Porcelain Salli without that love, and I don’t think I would dig David Lynch movies as much either.

Anyways we’re about to get to the Cowardly Lion.

I'm offline for the next couple of days****, have yourselves a lovely weekend.




*Well, we’ve always had a copy on video.
** any incorrect quotes are mine, Diana is too busy watching the movie and pre-empting the dialogue as I type.
*** even though I cut out the Wizard of Oz references in the published version.

****'cause I know you'll miss me, these entries are so exciting, what with the writing and the rambling and such.

6 comments:

Leon of Leichhardt said...

Trent,

Whay don't you watch it while listening to Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. ery Lismore. Appparently they match up....

PS. Been digging the new Dr Who? I have. Will write about high quality tv on my blog very soon...

2:46 AM I'm p!ssed and should go to bed...

Steve said...

Yeh, Trent, try the Dark Side of the Moon thing and let us know if it works.

In other news, the new Doctor Who is entertaining but depressingly unscientific.

I *know* it's always been a fantasy, but they could be trying better to give it a veneer of science.

For instance, that episode in the cat hospital where everyone was cured of every disease by being doused in coloured water.

Trent Jamieson said...

Oddly enough I have done the Dark Side of the Moon thing and it does match up, sort of.

Haven't done it with the DVD though.

Leon, you shouldn't be drinking at 2.46AM!

Funny you should say that about the New Dr Who, Steve. I said pretty much the same thing watching the latest episode, this season they've got all the accoutrement of science fiction without the science, any time anything needs explaining the dr basically mumbles under his breath says it's all about love, or you've got to laugh haven't you, and they move on.

That said I do like David Tennant's Dr. And it's cybermen this weekend, so that should be cool.

Leon of Leichhardt said...

Belivie it or not I was home from the first really serious night of beers that I'd had in ages and ages. Weirdly enough I was out with abunch of Pete's mates. One from the north coast who kept asking me why the hell I ever went there....

Science in Dr Who? Was there really that much the first time round? I agree I'm starting to prefer David Tennant, though CE was good.

Trent Jamieson said...

You're right, of course, never was much science in Dr Who.

Hey, I see Pete got married - could you get the bugger to email me?

Leon of Leichhardt said...

Yeah I'll pass it on.

Did you watch the cybermen episodes?