Friday, July 28, 2006

The Silver Road

I have just finished reading one of the most wonderful books I have read in a very long time.

What's more it was written by a friend. I am also launching the book in Brisbane - the Brisbane launch, as it is also being launched next weekend at Continuum, in August 22 - and, having read it, I am feeling extremely pleased, extremely honoured and just plain proud to be connected with this book in even such a tenuous fashion.

The book in question is Grace Dugan’s “The Silver Road”. It’s out now.

You should buy it.

Being a bookseller (and a person who likes to say this book is like… ) it draws more than favourable comparison with one of my favourite books, Guy Gavriel Kay’s “Tigana” and I can say this quite happily having only read “Tigana” again a few months ago. They have similar concerns, but, dare I say it, Grace’s characterisation is more subtle, she has breathed life into her characters and given them the ability to etch themselves into your memory.

It’s a rich and glorious book, and much more than one should expect from a first novel. Even though we do, these days, don’t we.

I’m going to write about this book at length, but not now – it’s still a little too fresh, and I’ve drunk perhaps a glass too much wine.

No comments: