Monday, July 03, 2006

Quiet and Cook

It's been a quiet few days. Very quiet. Maybe too quiet.

And it looks like quiet is on the horizon.

I've been thinking about Hugh Cook. He wrote a fantasy series called "Chronicles of an Age of Darkness". The ten books that made up the series were a little patchy in places, but it still sets the benchmark for fantasy series for me. It rambled all over the place, and he wasn't frightened to kill his characters, and even when it was about quests and all the appurtenances of modern fantasy it wasn't.

They were pretty damn good books.

Then Hugh Cook disappeared.

Well, not completely, he wrote a bunch of interesting horror shorts, published in small press magazines a few years ago, but I've not seen anything lately.

Those ten books appeared to kill his career.

Damn shame because they were pretty damn good. The books teemed, part dying earth, part space opera, part quest fantasy, part comedy, part historical diatribe. They were playful and dark. They obviously didn't sell.

My favourite of the series is called "The Walrus and the Warwolf" it's a coming of age tale that also explores religious fervour, love, the end of the world, and pirates. It's bloody excellent.

6 comments:

Martin Livings said...

I remember the W and the W books! I never read them all, but I remember enjoying the ones I DID read.

Ah, memories...

Hey, you ever finish Carnies? I'd love to hear your final verdict. And come and check out the online forum interview going on, maybe even take part. :)

http://www.asif.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122

Trent Jamieson said...

Hey Martin,

I thought it was really cool - as you've no doubt seen in the entry above. I wish I was a tad more insightful a critic, but I genuinely enjoyed it.

Martin Livings said...

Hey, that's good enough for me. ;)

Steve Wilson said...

Hi, Trent,

I'm glad you like my Hugh Cook fan site.

I've added a carefully edited quote of yours to my front page.

Small world - my friend Shane Brown says he knows you.

Trent Jamieson said...

Hi Steve,

It's a great site. Hugh Cook is a fantastic writer.

And wow, my brother is going to be jealous :)

It is a small world indeed, Shane - talking of fantastic writers - emailed me today.

Steve said...

You and your brother should sign up as members to my site.

It conveys absolutely no advantage, other than being able to post as yourself, but makes the site look better :P