Saturday, July 22, 2006

Music - a slight wank

I've had the best year music-wise. Just as in my reading I've been utterly spoilt by the albums I've bought this year. Everything has engaged me.

Shearwater's Palo Santo is still the stand out of all the things I've bought this year. It's stood up to a month and a bit of listening and is as radiant and mysterious an album as ever.

I'm totally getting into the new Thom Yorke album Eraser. At first I thought, well it's just another Radiohead album but without the depth. And it kind of is, but that's what makes it so good. There's a lot more going on there, stuff that I don't think I can capture without sounding like an absolute wanker.

Also liking the new Dresden Doll's album Yes Virginia... bought tickets to see them play in September should be good.

Though I suspect it's going to be overshadowed by Okkervil River, also playing September. I can't stress enough how good these guys are.

Oh, and there's a new Crystal Skulls album. Their last album Blocked Numbers was a laidback lounge rock delight. Worth buying for the song "Hussy" bloody excellent.

Yup, and then there was the new Augie March - Moo You Bloody Choir.

Been totally spoilt I reckon.

No comments: