Friday, June 02, 2006

Week is Done

Well, the week I wasn't looking forward to is done.

And it wasn't as bad as I thought. I finished work a little before midnight on wednesday - the dreaded stocktake - and caught the last train home. The streets were pretty much empty on the walk home from the station. Just me and the cold.

Until I got to the block before my place. There was this really, really big cat on the road, doing that staring thing that cats do. I was watching it, watching me. I bent down to pat it and realised it wasn't a cat, but a possum, it bolted for the nearest telephone pole, after grunting at me, and then thuck, thuck, thuck, with those stubby thick claws, excellent for climbing, it was halfway up the pole and looking back down at me.

About 50,000 years ago there were "possums" that could eat people, and I think this one considered it, for a moment. Then it decided it was more fun to clamber onto someone's roof and get into a fight.

I went home.

That was pretty much the coolest thing about stocktake.

No comments: