Saturday, June 24, 2006

Tap Tap Tap Drip Drip Drip

I've spent the afternoon (once I finished the usual choring, okay, so there's still washing in the sink, but let me get to that later on - and how do you know there's washing in the sink? That disturbs me.) dropping new sentences into stories, and wishing that my writing process wasn't so glacial. I remember when stories poured from me.

These days it's tap,
tap,
tap - or to continue the pouring metaphor, drip,
drip,
drip.

After the tapping, er dripping, I worried at a few technical problems. Like tense and voice. One of the stories I'm working on at the moment changes from past to present tense, and from third to first person, all over the place, and I kind of liked the sloppiness of it, but now it's time to rein it in. Which means a total redraft, a whole bunch of squiggling in the margins, and a headache.

So, I'm whining, but I actually like this state of affairs as well.

For all the lack of speed, I'm feel particularly narratively fecund. I'm using it as mulch for the garden.

No comments: