Monday, June 26, 2006

Hobble and Books

I've just finished Neal Asher's "The Line of Polity" and gotten further into Martin Living's "Carnies".

"The Line of Polity" was an absolute hoot, have to say I'm glad that I've still got another three or four of his books to go: going to pace myself. This is high octane space opera, witty, marvellously paced. And I see that Neal's put up a timeline at his blog - I love timelines. And, if you want to get a sense of what his stuff is like, check out the review of "Prador Moon" in the latest Emerald City.

On to "Carnies" I'm going to label this "the year of Trent picking books that he's going to love" so far I can do no wrong in my book purchases. This is just going on what I've read so far, but the book's handling of the relationship between two brothers strikes me as extremely authentic. Martin's got the deft touch of Gaiman - with a slightly earthier humour - mixed with a little early Jonathan Carroll, think "Land of Laughs". Which isn't to say that he doesn't have his own voice, I'm just scrambling for comparisons. I'm looking forward to reading what he writes next. Martin's control of his work is only going to get better.

Books good, health a little patchy, I've sprained or torn a muscle in my left leg. Walking is extremely painful, which sucks because my job involves a fair bit of walking - hunting down books and such for returns.

Fortunately reading does not involve walking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Carroll keeps one of the best daily blogs on the internet. I read it every day-- it's really that good.

www.jonathancarroll.com

Trent Jamieson said...

Hey, I checked it out. It's cool. One more blog to read and wipe out more of my time :)

Martin Livings said...

Awww... *blush*

Incidentally, my beloved brother would like me to point out that, despite the apparent authenticity of the relationship in the book, his relationship with me is nothing like that. He's threatening to sue me for slander, in fact. *g*

If anything, he's a ten year old version of me, a frightening glimpse into my own future. ;)

Trent Jamieson said...

Stop your commenting and get writing.

It's a great book, Martin. Hope other folk are enjoying it.

Trent

Neal Asher said...

Thanks for the comments, Trent. Of course that timeline might be subject to a little bit of tinkering, but is right for now.

Trent Jamieson said...

Well, they do say that history is subjective...and people are always revising timelines.

It's pretty neat though.