Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Peeps and a Darling - an enthused if somewhat inarticulate rave

I'm reading "Peeps" by Scott Westerfeld. A seriously cool YA novel. If you're after a fascinating and different vampire book this one is for you. And it's pacy. Imagine Buffy on speed and you're kind of in the same ballpark, except Buffy is so late nineties and this is so 2006.

Scott wrote one of my favourite books, "Evolution's Darling" I can't recommend it enough. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's one of the most important and unappreciated books in the SF canon. It possesses a delicacy of prose and a fecundity of ideas that leaves most SF looking a mite shabby, and it is also deliciously funny. Most importantly it seems to divide readers. Check out the reviews at amazon, in which Stephen Dedman writes much more clearly about this book than this humble blogger is capable.

Anyway, you gotta read that book.

2 comments:

Justine Larbalestier said...

Psst! It's WesterFELD, not WesterFIELD.

Have you read Fine Prey? That's my fave of Scott's adult sf.

Trent Jamieson said...

Oh, bugger, that's the problem with writing these things before you go to bed. I'll just go and change that, and we'll pretend that it never happened - send him my apologies, Justine.

No I haven't read Fine Prey, but I will.