Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long Day Tomorrow

It's a long day tomorrow. The place where I work is doing its stocktake. So it's actually a long day/night.

Lots of stories bubbling, my cold seems to be going away - the sore throat is dulling anyway - so feeling much less whiny.


Clown

Woke up just on midnight and the air was still and hot. When I say still, I mean not a breath of wind, but my wind chimes were clanging and they were heavy wooden things requiring more than a breath of wind, more than two breaths. I went to the window of my bedroom thinking, don't look. You don't want to look.

I looked.

There was a clown, banging the chimes. He gave a painted smile, that would have touched his eyes, if he had possessed any.

I checked all my doors were locked. I called the police. By the time they arrived he was gone.
They took notes. Regarded me with polite suspicion - there was an empty bottle of red on my kitchen table, I'd not done the washing up either - then left.

I didn't sleep that night.

No comments: